It started in the middle of the night, I woke thinking that I was peeing on myself and soon discovered my water had broken. That was about 12:30am on November 5th. I wasn’t having any contractions so daddy suggested I just come back to bed because we were seeing the doctor in the morning for our 39 week check and she could help us then; that is if I didn’t start having contractions.
Morning came and still no contractions, I was not in labor despite the fact that my water had broken and I was leaking amniotic fluid. So, we went to the doctor’s office and saw Dr. Kessler who decided I needed to go on over to the hospital to be induced slowly because my water had been broken for close to 10 hours and she was worried about the risk of infection. We walk over to the hospital and get settled in our nice big labor and delivery room. Right away I got hooked up to IV fluids and pitocin. After I’m all settled and resting, Adam goes home to take care of Marley and get all the hospital things we’ll need for the duration of our time. Back he comes and we play the waiting game. Your Mammaw and PapPaw visit as well as your grandma Carle. It helps to pass the time but everything continues on in limbo. I’m just not going into labor. Dr. Parabeck who was on call was very nice and checked on me regularly. But her time passed into the next day and Dr. Wurzbacher came on call next. After 24 hours in the hospital on pitocin and 2 doses of cervix thinning medication, 33 after my water broke, I was still not having any contractions—still no labor for me. Dr. Wurzbacher said if things didn’t start by 5 or 6pm that we were going to have to do a cesarean. After all this time, my body should have started laboring and she was getting worried that infection could set in despite the antibiotics. This was at 12:45; she checked my cervix and I was still only 2cm dilated. She also found my forebag and broke it. She was hoping that having succeeded in breaking the forebag things would kick in and I’d start laboring. WOW, was she right—within 20 minutes I started feeling contractions. And, they came very hard and fast. I never got any little ones, they were intense and very painful from the start. After about an hour of contracting, I didn’t think I could do it anymore. I was in so much pain. Daddy was wonderful and helped me tremendously, but I needed the pain to stop. Despite not wanting an epidural, I thought I was doomed to get one because the pain was just so bad. I couldn’t handle all this pain for the who knows how many hours I had left to contract. That was my thinking. But, daddy kept me away from it, reminding me why I didn't want an epidural. I spent most of the time on the toilet in pain. When the nurse came in to check me, about 2 hours after I started laboring, I was already 10cms dilated. She was amazed and surprised I was so far along. In about 2 hours, I went from 2cms to 10cms. No wonder I was in so much pain! It was time to push you out. Adam and Tonya(the nurse) held my legs for about 2 and half hours while I pushed. It was so tiring and hard to push, almost more than painful. After about 2 hours, I ask if the doctor can pull her out with her fingers since she’s already there stretching me to help the baby’s head fit. The answer was no, silly mama. Then, I ask for an episiotomy because I just don’t think you are ever going to fit out. 30 minutes later, I got an episiotomy and with my very next push, out comes YOU! We have a beautiful baby girl and her name is Lyla--that's YOU! You was placed on my chest right away and I looked at you as best I could and touched your soft skin. My first words to you were: all the other girls here are stars, you are the Northern Lights.I looked up at daddy and saw tears in his eyes. It was just an awesome and lovely moment. Daddy cut the cord and we gazed at you in wonderment and love. Adam and Tara made a baby and you are absolutely breathtaking. I love and treasure you Lyla Carle, and I always will
No comments:
Post a Comment